The Center for Corporate Education partners with units across VCU's Campus to bring professional and innovative learning opportunities to the business community.
There is no power for change greater than a community discovering what it cares about. - Margaret J. Wheatley
Becoming an Antiracist Leader Series
Kick off is September 28, 2021 and then runs October 12, 2021 - May 21, 2022 | 2nd Tuesday each month, 9:00-11:00 am via Zoom
In partnership with the Office of Strategic Engagement in the School of Education, the School of Business is launching the BECOMING AN ANTIRACIST LEADER series following the successful launch of Becoming an Antiracist Educator in the Fall of 2020. The Educator series, which was open to both K12 and Higher Education professionals, welcomed over 500 participants and is anticipating an even larger turnout for 2021/2022.
Growth happens when we feel safe to listen, learn, and share with others. This series, taught by trained educators, prioritizes a safe learning environment for individuals interested in self- and community-awareness.
This dynamic professional learning opportunity is designed with business leaders in mind. The course design intentionally develops skills so participants can engage in practices to dismantle systems that perpetuate racial inequities in work communities.
Participants in this interactive and reflective VIRTUAL SPACE will deepen their understanding of race, racism, and systemic inequities. Collectively, we will challenge the underlying structures that uphold racism and will develop dispositions to demonstrate antiracist actions within personal and professional environments.
Modules include learning and critical self-reflection on:
- September 28 | Series Kick-Off - Antiracism 101
- October 12 | Developing an Antiracist Mindset
- November 9 | Deconstructing Implicit Bias
- December 14 | Determining the Impact of Power and Privilege
- January 11 | Deepening our Understanding of Systemic Racism
- February 8 | Dismantling Racial Disproportionality in Business
- March 8 | Designing Antiracist Employee Supports
- April 12 | Developing Sustainable Antiracist Environments
- May 10 | Doing the Work: Allies, Accomplices, and Co-Conspirators in Action
Cost and Logistics
The series will run from 9:00-11:00 am, kicking off on Sept. 28th then running on the 2nd Tuesday of each month from October 12, 2021 through May 10th, 2022. All sessions will be live, facilitator led learning through Zoom. In addition to a personal/professional antiracist leader pre- and post-assessment, participants will have access to an online learning classroom where material will be readily available for download. Participants are encouraged to use learning materials in the class, and in their work environments. Between session assignments will support further learning and practical application in the workplace.
- The series includes 9, two-hour live sessions and approximately 1 hour of personal reflection each week.
- Cost | $900.00 per person* (early bird, alumni, and group discounts are available) *not for profit rates are available. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
- Upon completion of this course, participants will receive a Certificate of Completion and a digital badge microcredential.